Sunday 8 September 2013

My bad.

So, it turns out that I just cannot bring myself to blog. at all. Sorry about that folks.

However, I have just read my friend Emma's amazing new blog and decided it was high time that I got my shit together and wrote something on here, so THANKS EMMA!

We've been in sunny Saskatchewan for almost 3 months now. It still feels like a holiday, due to fun things like free refill soft drinks and complimentary tap water in restaurants and because the weather has been like the Mediterranean coast.

We have come across some British/Canadian translation issues, here's some of my personal favourites...

1. Canadians do not understand when you refer to a time as "half" something, e.g. "half 3", they often misinterpret this as half of 3 or half an hour until 3. This can lead to some scheduling issues.

2. "Fags" is a derogatory term for homosexuals, not cigarettes. Do not shout it loudly in public.

3. A "queue" is "line up". For example, "Hey, did you see the line up at Subway?"

And here's a picture of the giant Saskatchewan sky...


1 comment:

  1. YAY!

    I'm so pleased you blogged again.

    I'm confused though, tap water is free here too, or do you mean it's already out and on the table when you sit down?

    And the time thing, I expect that's a French influence?

    Brilliant, you should do a whole list dedicated to as many of these as you can find!

    ReplyDelete